Scott, William (b. 1842, d. ?)
Note: Was the Head Gardener at Edinburgh Castle.
Came out to Australia and took up land outside Rockhampton in 1864.
Queensland death records show many William Scotts. However one of interest is a William Scott who died in Queensland on 12 September 1901, parents Thomas Scott and Isabella McAnally. There is a McAnally family who originated in Northern
Ireland, migrated to Australia and became part of the Sellwood Family Tree through marriages. Further extensive searching could show whether there is any connection.
Note: Son of William Stewart of Caithness, Scotland, and grandson of Donald Stewart of Appin, one of Prince Charles Edward's officers.
William Stewart, soldier and Lieut-Governor, joined the 101st Regiment as an Ensign in 1794 and was transferred to the 3rd Regiment in 1796. He served in the West Indies, notably Grenada, St Vincent, St Lucia and St Eustatius until 1802, and on
the Peninsula 1808-12. In Portugal Stewart took part in severe fighting, was wounded, decorated and promoted to Lieut-Colonel in August 1810. He commanded the 3rd Regiment in America in 1814 and in the army of occupation in France in 1815-18.
He became a Colonel by purchase in 1819.
In 1821 the 3rd Regiment was sent to NSW. Stewart disembarked at Sydney in April 1825. Before leaving England he had obtained a commission as Lieut-Governor but on 1 January 1825 this was amended by instructions that he was to associate the 2
senior members of the Legislative Council in any government of his.
Stewart was senior military officer in the colony and a member of the Legislative Council. Governor Brisbane held a poor opinion of him, and, although he had been authorised to leave Sydney any time after May 1825, Brisbane delayed his
departure, claiming that he could not trust the administration to the Lieut-Governor. The reasons for Brisbane's hostility are not clear but it is likely that he suspected Stewart's humanitarian and liberal views. Brisbane departed on 1
December 1825 and Stewart governed the colony for 18 days until the arrival of Governor Darling. His only important proclamation was on the fixing of postal rates. He also formed a small mounted police force and pardoned some convicts whom
Brisbane had left under capital sentence.
Governor Darling regarded Stewart highly and employed him in various duties, making him a member of the Land Board, the Board of General Purposes and an enquiry in 1826 into the administration of the Female Orphan School. Conflict between the 2
men occurred only once, after the drumming-out of Privates Sudds and Thompson in November 1826. Stewart claimed that Darling had promised that the heavy irons used on the offenders would be worn only during the parade, but they were not removed
until later. When Stewart discovered this after the death of Sudds he rebuked the Governor for his failure to keep his promise.
In 1827 Stewart relinquished his position as Lieut-Governor when he went to India to command his Regiment. He was promoted Major-General in July 1830 and returned to NSW in 1832 to live in retirement near Bathurst on Mount Pleasant, an estate
of 3200 acres granted by Darling in 1826.After retirement Stewart took little part in public life, although he chaired a meeting at Bathurst in 1850 to protest against the proposed revival of transportation.
Stewart died on 8 April 1854 and was buried on his property. His funeral procession was headed by a large party of Mounted Gold Police and Mounted Patrol under the command of District Gold Commissioner Charles Henry Green [son in law]. Also in
the procession were James Horne Stewart [son], David Kennedy and Rev K.D.Smythe [sons in law] and Lieutenant Stewart of the Ceylon Rifles.
More detail of William Stewart's distinguished career is contained in 1854 newspaper reports, copies of which are held in Family History file of Charles Henry Green.
Note: Susan M. Murnin was born in Sydney in 1856 to parents Michael E.Murnin and Grace Abbott who had married in NSW in 1847. The latter died in NSW in 1894.
Marguerite Susan Murnin married Charles Henry Green in the Wharfedale District, a Census District in West Yorkshire, during the quarter ended September 1890.
Margaret Susan Green [nee Murnin] gave birth to a son, Charles Murnin Green, on 12 August 1891 at Andover, Hampshire, England.
Marguerite Susan Green died on 20 March 1927 at Hastings District, Sussex. Her home address was 86 Marina, St Leonards On Sea, Sussex. Age at death of 70 years confirms the birth year of 1856 for Susan M.Murnin.
Marguerite died intestate and Letters of Administration awarded 1729 pounds [not an insignificant amount of money for those times] to her "lawful son and only person entitled to the estate", Charles Murnin Green, brewer's manager, Flat 1, 15
Bolton Road, Eastbourne, Sussex [a little west of St. Leonards on Sea].
Other children to Michael and Grace Murnin were -
Grace C. born 1849, Elizabeth S. born 1851 died 1903, George F. born 1853 died 1904, Male born 1861.
More detail concerning Marguerite Susan Green/Murnin is contained in separate writings about the lifetime of Charles Henry Green that are held in Family History files.
A search of the 1901 England census shows a Susan M. Green born 1857 at Wales [ is this New South Wales wrongly abbrieviated where records show 1856?], residing at Andover, Hampshire.
Also listed in that Census as a visitor at the Greens' residence was Grace C. Gedye, a widow aged 51 years, born at Sydney NSW. Searching has found that this was Margaret Susan's sister Grace C. Murnin. Information found about her is recorded
in her Personal Notes.
Note: John Small 3's first job away from the family farm appears to have been as apprentice to Blacksmith Richard Harding of Hunter Street, Sydney, on 23 January 1813. The next recorded information about his position in the colony was as a listed
land owner in 1827, as were his brother Thomas and their father. In 1828 census John 3 appeared as a farmer and District Constable.
In tne book The Small Family in Australia 1788-1988 there is an interesting story concerning settlement of the Smalls in the Clarence River area. The following is an abridged version of that story.
Henry Gillet was a ship builder by trade and shortly after arriving in the colony he settled on the estate of Thomas Small at Kissing Point. In 1837 he wrote to the Colonial Secretary seeking permission to......cut cedar at .....the Big River.
A boat was built, the Susan, of 50 tons burden.
John Small 3 was a member of the crew when the Susan sailed north but they were unable to cross the bar of the Clarence River at what is now known as Yamba. They returned to Sydney, obtained whale boats and turned north again but were unable
to acquire a satisfactory load of timber. A third trip was undertaken and this time they brought back the first load of cedar ever taken from the Clarence River area.
John Small 3 was so impressed with the country and prospects that he immediately took up land on Woodford Island,cleared some land and built a home of cedar slabs. He then brought his family up from Ryde who arrived on 1 May 1839 and were the
first family to settle on the Clarence River. John 3 became an extensive land owner, in time owning all of Woodford Island.
John Small 3 died on 15 April 1883 and his grave is one of 7, all Smalls, in the Pioneer Cemetery in the middle of a cane field at Woodford Island.
Note: Daughter of convict George Patfield who had arrived at the colony on the Neptune, one of the ships of the Second Fleet.
Elizabeth married John Small 3 at St Philip's church, Sydney, on 31 October 1820, just after her 18th birthday. Her brother George [aged almost 23 years] married John's sister Sarah [aged 15 years] at that church on the same day.
Elizabeth died on 29 May 1870 and her grave is one of 7, all Smalls, in the Pioneer Cemetery in the middle of a cane field at Woodford Island.
Note: John Small was a First Fleet convict having arrived at Port Jackson on 26 January 1788. It has been written that he had been sentenced to 7 years transportation for having stolen a handkerchief valued at one shilling. However through diligent
research Mollie Gillen has uncovered John Small's true background.
Mollie Gillen descends from John Small and Mary Parker through 2 of their children, Mary who married Mathew Hughes and through William who married Charlotte Melville. She has published a book "The Search for John Small - First Fleeter" from
which the following information has been taken.
John Small, son of John and Rebecca Small, was baptised at St Philip's Cathedral, Birmingham on 11 December 1761. As a bitt maker from Birmingham, aged 19 years, he enlisted in the marine corps on 16 April 1781; he was 5 feet 6 inches tall,
had dark brown hair, fair complexion, hazel eyes.
After some training on shore he embarked on HMS Lively on 15 June 1781, spent some time sailing from and to Plymouth then visited North America twice, then Cuba where he saw some action against the Spanish, was captured and held for 4 months.
Released by an exchange of prisoners in 1783 he was returned to Plymouth where he was later discharged from the marines when the corps was reduced from about 21000 men in 1783 to fewer than 5000 men in 1784. He received a total of 9 pounds 16
shillings and 7 pence for his 2.5 years service.
On 14 March 1785 at the Lent Assizes at Exeter, Stephen Davenport, John Herbert, Robert Ellwood and John Small were accused of the same crime - "feloniously assaulting James Burt in the King's Highway feloniously putting him in Corporal fear
and danger of his life in the said Highway and feloniously and violently stealing and taking from his person and against his will in the said Highway one metal watch and Tortoise-shell case value 30 shillings one pruning knife value 6 pence and
5 shillings his goods".
All were convicted and sentenced to hanging but Stephen Devonport was granted a free pardon and sentences on John Herbert and John Small were commuted to 7 years transportation.
John Small was incarcerated in Exeter High Gaol until 30 January 1786 when he and other prisoners were loaded into a waggon for Plymouth, to be held on the Dunkirk prison hulk pending transportation. He was loaded on board the Charlotte on 11
March 1787 in preparation for sailing to Botany Bay as part of an 11 ship fleet.
There is nothing on record concerning John Small's activities for the next 5 years to completion of his term of servitude in March 1792 except his marriage to Mary Parker on 12 October 1788, one act of drunkedness in 1788 [not convicted] and
the birth of 2 children. Then came his first land grant on 20 February 1794. Using present names of streets at Ryde NSW, the location of the land was bounded by Belmore Street, Blaxland Road, Church Street and Morrison Road. It comprised 30
acres, was to be known by the name of Small Farm at Eastern Farms, was to be free of taxes etc for 10 years, was to be resided upon by John Small and was to be improved and cultivated.
Musters of the colony in 1802 and 1806 showed John Small as apparently a reasonably successful farmer. In 1809 he was appointed a Constable for which he received payment for his services from the Military Purse and also some rations and
clothing for himself and his family.
Tragedy befell this family in 1824 when wife Mary died from accidental drowning.
John Small retired from his position of District Constable on 1 December 1825. In 1828 he passed his land on to his son Thomas who passed it on to his stepson James Devlin [born 1808], consideration 100 pounds. Thomas had married widow
Priscilla Devlin in 1821.
At the time of his death on 2 October 1850 at almost 90 years of age, John Small was the last known survivor of the First Fleet convicts. He was buried at St Anne's church, Ryde NSW, but his tombstone has since been moved to Field of Mars
.A direct line for Descendants from these 2 First Fleet convicts of 1788 to the Sellwood family in the 21st century is---
John Small 2 and Mary Parker - son John Small 3
John Small 3 and Elizabeth Patfield - son John Frederick Small 1
John Frederick Small 1 and Mary Matilda Chowne - son Frederick William Small
Frederick William Small and Florence Lavinia Noud - daughter Annie Jessie Small
Annie Jessie Small and George W.Bird - daughter Dorothy Muriel Bird
Dorothy Muriel Bird and Vivian E.M.Sellwood - daughter Kerrie Ann Sellwood [a son Brett Vivian Sellwood] and son Vivian Grant Sellwood [daughters Renae Lee Sellwood and Carina Jade Sellwood]
This is the line of descendants adopted for Notes for this portion of the Sellwood Family Tree. For other Family History Notes for the Smalls and their descendants, refer to The Small Family in Australia 1788-1988.
Australian Convict Transportation Registers - First Fleet 1787 - 1788 became available on Ancestry.com on 2007. The entry for John Small reads......convicted at Exeter, Devon on 14 March 1785, bound for NSW on the Charlotte, First Fleet,
February 1787 [Piece HO 11/1].
Note: Mary Parker was a First Fleet convict. Information about her has been taken from Mollie Gillen's book "The Search for John Small - First Fleeter".
Mary Parker worked as a domestic servant for John and Mary Hickman who conducted a boarding house in London at Duke Street, Bloomsbury [now renamed Coptic Street]. Her first crime was committed in April 1785 when she stole 2 tablecloths valued
at 5 shillings from Mrs Hickman.
Mary was held in prison at Clerkenwell before standing trial on 21 September 1785 when she was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment. After release in March 1786 Mary appeared at the Old Bailey on 26 April charged with stealing from John Hickman
"2 muslin gowns and coats value 40 shillings, 1 cotton gown value 10 shillings, 3 cotton frocks value 4 shillings, 1 callico bed-gown value 2 shillings, 4 pairs of cotton pockets value 4 shillings, 11 shirts value 3 pounds, 1 shift value 2
shillings and 1 diaper clout value 6 pence, total value 6 pounds 2 and 6 pence". Although denying the charges and there being discrepencies in the evidence, Mary was found guilty and sentenced to be "transported to parts beyond the seas for 7
For the next 8 months and 10 days Mary was held in Newgate Prison. On 6 January 1787 she was embarked on the Lady Penrhyn convict transport for Botany Bay [all females]. The fleet of 11 ships sailed down the English Channel in May 1787.
Mary's term of servitude was completed in April 1793 by which time she had married John Small on 17 October 1788 and had born 2 daughters - Rebecca on 22 October 1789 and Mary on 13 December 1791.
John Small received his first land grant of 30 acres on 20 February 1794 and the family settled at Eastern Farms [later known as Kissing Point, now known as Ryde]. Son John was born later that year followed by William 1796, Thomas 1799, Sarah
and Samuel 1804 [twins].
Tragedy struck this family on 4 April 1824 when sons John and William found the body of their mother in a well. The Coroner's finding was accidental drowning. Mary was believed to have been buried on the family farm. In 1934 an unmarked grave
was found in that area and remains were reinterred at the Field of Mars cemetery in Mary's name. In 1979 a memorial tablet was erected.
Australian Convict Transportation Registers - First Fleet, 1787 - 1788 became available on Ancestry.com in 2007. The entry for Mary Parker reads......convicted at Middlesex on 26 April 1786, bound for NSW on the Lady Penrhyn, First Fleet.
February 1787 [Piece HO 11/1].
Note: Diligent research by Mollie Gillen has resulted in this family being traced. The following has been taken from her book "The Search for John Small - First Fleeter".
Record of John Small's marriage to Rebecca has not been found. However children born to this couple have been found in baptismal records in Birmingham.
Daughter of John Small, baptised at St Philip's Cathedral
Ann - 21 June 1749
Son of John Small, baptised at St Martin's church
William - 26 December 1750
From 1751 both parents' names had to be recorded -
Children of John Small and Rebecca, baptised at St Martin's
Sarah - 26 December 1752 [buried 17 September 1754]
Mary - 1 April 1755
Thomas - 1 October 1759
John - 11December 1761
Sarah - 11 September 1764
Samuel - 4 August 1766
Joseph - 11 May 1771.
John and Rebecca Small lived in the Edgbaston quarter of Birmingham in Holloway Head, a continuation of Smallbrook Street on the road to Worcester.
Note: Born in Grafton NSW Len Bird was brought up in Whiporie, a very small settlement on the "back road" between Grafton and Casino NSW; his parents owned the only country store there. Len attended the one-teacher school at Whiporie, then Grafton High School, then commenced work at the Bank of NSW [Westpac] at Barraba NSW in 1941.
In 1942 at age 18 years he enlisted in the RAAF and joined the 24th Squadron which completed two tours of operations in the Pacific War Zones in New Guinea and the Islands.
After Honourable Discharge at the end of World War 2 Len returned to Bank duties at Wellington NSW, married Betty McAnally at Dubbo NSW in 1949, settled in Wellington for a time then moved to Cowra NSW where 3 children were born.
In 1955 Len left the Bank and became District Agent for the AMP Society at Cowra which position he held with great distinction for 25 years. Retiring in 1980 he and his family moved to NSW Central Coast where he set up a highly successful Real Estate Agency business in Forster pending final retirement and movement to Bateau Bay NSW in the late 1980s.
A love of Len Bird's life was Clay Target shooting. He founded the Cowra Gun Club in 1953, first serving as Club Secretary for 6 years then as Club President for 21 years. During the same period he became a driving force in the NSW Clay Target Association for which he very actively served as State President in the 1980s.
Note: Betty was born at Dubbo NSW, the youngest of seven children. She grew up on "Shalimar", a 2000 acre sheep and wheat property 20km from Dubbo. She loved country life and often spoke about her childhood being very happy, spending time with her
older siblings in a loving family.
In 1946 Betty attended a dance in Wellington NSW and met her love of her life, Len Bird. They married in Dubbo on 18 April 1949 and settled in Wellington before moving to Cowra NSW. They made Cowra their home for 30 years where they raised
their two daughters Libby and Margaret.
After semi-retiring in Forster, Betty and Len moved to the Central Coast NSW where they lived for 25 years before moving into Berkley Vale Nursing Home in 2010.
Betty loved reading and music and enjoyed playing the piano. She was very proud of her Irish ancestry, motivating her to compile her Family History. This was a passion that continued for many years and her extensive research and dedication has
given her family a comprehensive history of their heritage.
Note: A record of her marriage at the Uniting Church Archives shows her name as Florence Mary Bird, Spinster, Whiporie, aged 17 years, born at Broken Hill, parents Louis Bird, Butcher and Jane Dowling. The marriage was at the Methodist Church, Casino
NSW to John James Strudwicke, Labourer, Lismore, aged 23 years, born at St Peters, Sydney.
Note: In reply to a request for information, Morisset Hospital wrote that all they could supply was that Louis A. Bird was admitted on 13 November 1944 and died at the hospital on 9 July 1948.
Note: Seems to have had a second name L..............
Note: Baptised at Chiswick Vicarage 25 January 1784.
Note: Baptised at Chiswick Vicarage 19 October 1785.
Note: Baptised at Chiswick Vicarage 29 March 1789.
Note: Baptised at Chiswick Vicarage 23 October 1791.
Note: Mary Boulton was born on 29 March 1824 at West Bromwich, England. She married Joseph King on 27 November 1843 in unnamed Parish, Darling Downs Qld [Drayton]. Witnesses were Thomas Alford [brother-in-law] and James Rogers [Station Overseer who
accompanied squatter Arthur Hodgson onto the Downs in September 1840, only a month before Joseph King had arrived].
Mary's sister Elizabeth had moved from Paterson NSW to the Darling Downs in mid 1842 so it is apparent that Mary had followed soon after. Her parents did not witness her marriage as they were still living at Paterson NSW at that time.
No children were born to this union.
In later years Mary and Joseph returned to England where they both died.
Note: Joseph King married Mary Boulton at Drayton Qld on 27 November 1843.
The following is an extract from writings by Maurice French -
"Joseph King accompanied his employer, Edward Clerk, to Van Dieman's Land as an indentured servant or valet in 1835. A year later Clerk moved to NSW in search of better land and joined John Rankin in partnership at Scone.
"King, a capable bushman, explored further north to the Gwyder and Macintyre Rivers claiming Frenchaye station for his employers in 1838, on which he became superintendent......King also had charge of the same owners' Clerkness station west of
Guyra on the Gwyder River.....
"King.....had cast his eyes north towards Cunningham country as early as April 1840, about the same time Leslie was on the Downs. So by October 1840 King and Sibley.....had taken up Haldon run some 12 miles along Haldon Creek, between runs
occupied by the Leslies and Arthur Hodgson....."
Haldon Creek is now named King Creek.
In other writings Joseph King is favourably mentioned as "a capable bushman, an explorer, a jolly fellow". In 1843 he was acclaimed as one of the rescuers in a bloody conflict with aborigines that was known as The Battle of One Tree Hill.
Joseph King is credited with having owned a number of runs in the Darling Downs/Dawson areas.
He and Mary retired in England, where they both died.
Note: Henrietta Boulton was born on 27 November 1825 at West Bromwich, England. She married Hugh Evans Shanklin on 26 April 1846 in Houghton Parish, Hunter River District NSW. Witnesses were George Boulton [her father, still living at Paterson at
that time] and Percy I. Smith.
At some time Henrietta and her husband moved to the Darling Downs. Writings record that the latter conducted a store at Warwick. In Thomas Alford's Journal of his trek from Toowoomba to the Bingara goldfields [ 16 September 1852 to 12 November
1852] he wrote that on 19 September 1852 he "came into Warwick and staid with Shanklins".
In other writings, about Toowoomba, Henrietta is commended for her 'pretty little villa residence, The Grange, literally embossed in verdure as it is....' and she 'appears to have been particularly fortunate in that her potatoes seem to have
entirely escaped the ravages of the grub.....'. There is also a portion of a town map of Toowoomba showing Henrietta Shanklin's farm, an area situated between North Street and Jellicoe Street and covering over four present day town blocks.
The Shanklins are reported as regular church-attenders.Records of birth of their children are Henrietta F. 1847, Hugh E. 1849 [died in Queensland 1927], Robert G. 1851, Emily 1853, Clarissa K. 1855. All were born in Queensland.
Henrietta Shanklin died at Toowoomba on 5 August 1915.
This HTML database was produced by a registered copy ofGED4WEBę version 3.32 .